Slip-and-fall attorney Tacoma, WA

Slip-and-fall injuries don’t have to keep you down

An overlooked hazard has the potential to cause serious injury. These cases fall into an area of law called premises liability.

If you have been injured while visiting a business or while on private property, and the injury was the result of the negligence of the business or the property owner, you need to speak with a legal expert in premises liability, sometimes called a slip and fall attorney. Tacoma, WA, is home to many attorneys and law firms, but our legal team at Helland Law Group has earned a reputation for combining come-as-you-are client care with deep experience and vigorous legal representation. It’s a combination that makes for very satisfied clients.

If you believe you were injured as the result of the negligence of a property owner, it is extremely important that you contact a premises liability attorney as soon as possible. These claims become increasingly difficult to prove over time.

What is negligence?

Negligence comes in many forms, but the common theme in negligence is the idea that the property owner should have foreseen and addressed a problem. Negligence may include such things as:

  • Products not properly stored
  • Spills not cleaned up properly
  • Dangerous or damaged floor coverings
  • Improper notice of known hazards
  • Inadequate security at a hotel which leads to an assault
  • Unsafe escalators, elevators, stairs, steps, or handrails

Premises liability in Washington State

If you’ve been injured in an accident that a property owner should have foreseen, the next step is to make sure that you were there at the property as an “invitee” — an invited guest (not a trespasser) or someone who is at a place of business for the purpose of conducting business. Invitees can often expect a higher level of compensation in a premises liability case in our state. 

▲ back to top ▲

Ask Slater, Canine Liaison

Contact us today
for a consultation

Icon: Facebook  Icon: Instagram

Questions about Slips and falls? Ask Slater.

Is a food establishment or hotel responsible if I have a slip-and-fall accident?▾

Good question. The simple answer is that there isn’t a simple answer. It always depends on the situation. Getting out of the shower in your hotel room and slipping on wet tile is different than slipping on water that has pooled in front of a soda machine at a fast food restaurant. Your best bet for knowing whether you have a case or not is to consult a slip-and-fall attorney.

Should I fill out an accident report at the time of the incident?▾

You don’t have to, but it’s best to make records of things while they’re fresh in your mind. If you fall at a business (say a grocery store), it’s not unusual for the business to have a policy of filling out a report at the time of the event. This can be a good thing. If a report is compiled, make sure you get your own copy of it. Don’t feel obligated to sign any documents or make binding statements. It’s not in your best interest to do so. The report is your chance to gather evidence, record the exact details of the event, and gather witness testimony and contact info. If the fall happened at a private residence, you will want to make notes for yourself while events are fresh in your memory.