DV Protection Order Pierce County

Know your rights. Be protected.

This is an emotional time in your life and we will act quickly to best protect you and your interests. Domestic violence is a serious matter that demands immediate action.

A restraining order is similar to but different than a domestic violence protection order. Pierce County residents have been looking to us for informed and compassionate counsel on difficult legal matters like domestic violence protection for well over three decades.

DV protection order vs. restraining order

What’s the difference between a restraining order and a domestic violence protection order? Pierce County residents can use a DV protection order to address key issues pertaining to domestic violence, while a restraining order can be sought for a number of broader reasons (property issues, spousal support, child support, etc.).

A DV protection order can:

  • Order an assailant to cease from future violence
  • Require an abuser to leave a shared home or apartment
  • Grant temporary child custody to one parent
  • Require an abuser to attend counseling

See Washington Courts’ website for a more complete list of what protection orders can do in Washington State.

What can’t a DV protection order do?

It can’t order child support or alimony, assign property, or establish permanent child custody. For that, you would need a restraining order, which is often filed as a part of a divorce case.

Experience matters

Our attorneys are knowledgeable as to what a victim must legally demonstrate to secure a domestic violence protection order as opposed to a restraining order. We will work closely with you to help you:

  • Determine whether or not the alleged acts meet the legal burden (a necessary level of proof) for a domestic violence protection order.
  • Assemble your case in a manner that presents the issues as clearly as possible to the court.

Being the victim or perpetrator of a domestic violence protection order carries with it serious implications and can affect such things as:

  • Child custody
  • Employment
  • The right to possess firearms

This is why it is in your best interest to contact a skilled, knowledgeable and compassionate attorney today.

▲ back to top ▲

Ask Slater, Canine Liaison

Contact us today
for a consultation

Icon: Facebook  Icon: Instagram

Questions about Domestic Violence? Ask Slater.

How can I get a domestic violence protection order? ▾

As the Helland Law Group office dog, you better believe I’m naturally protective. So I understand your desire to protect yourself and your family. So how do you get a DV protection order? It’s a little complicated, so bear with me. A domestic violence protection order requires filling out a petition for the order through the court. If you decide to have our office assist you, we will help you through the entire process. If your petition does not meet the legal standard for an order of protection, we can help you determine what other options might be available to you. It is also possible to fill out the petition directly through the Domestic Violence office in the Pierce County Superior Court. Once a petition has been submitted, a court commissioner reviews it to determine whether or not to issue a temporary order of protection. If a temporary order is issued, it is necessary to have your spouse served with the documents, and appear at the return hearing to determine whether the order should stay in place. These tend to be highly contested matters where legal representation is extremely important.

Should I worry if someone obtains a domestic violence protection order against me? ▾

Absolutely. A domestic violence protection order carries with it long-lasting implications and certain stigmas that may influence your ability to obtain housing, employment, and firearms. A standing protection order can also impact child custody matters. If you have been served with a domestic violence protection order, it is very important to seek legal advice prior to attending the court hearing.

What should I do if I am served with a temporary restraining order and/or temporary domestic violence protection order?▾

You should immediately contact an attorney to discuss the matter. If you feel that you have been wrongly accused of domestic violence, there are ways to defend against the protection order being issued, but time is extremely important, as a proper defense takes time to skillfully develop.